Friday, November 12, 2010

She knows what it is ,she just didn't know what it was.



"Excuse me,what is this?"


"It's a rug."

(She is gripping a rolled up rug with one hand. It is small,about 3'x5' and made of canvas that is printed with an Ikat design in shades of tans and pea green.

"Well I KNOW it's a rug.But what IS it?"

(This exchange gets the attention of a few other shoppers and several store managers. Because it is ridiculous.
She is wearing a dusty purple felt cloche,a gorgeous camel hair coat and the ring on her finger is so large that I am getting a headache when I look at it.She's in her 70's.)
In other words,she's got the money.The money I need.

"It's a small printed canvas rug." I say,as I unroll it and display it for her.

" Yes, I can see that.Well,what size is it?"

"This is a 3'x5'."

"I see. And how big is that?"

(Um, 3'x5' is three by five.Every time.We get that question a lot,"How big is the 6'x9' rug"?)

I emphasize the lengths of it for her with my arms. She understands.

"Well, I don't know if this is right for me after all."

I know exactly what you mean lady.




1 comment:

  1. I can't see your arm lengths, lady! How am I supposed to know how big 3x6 is???

    ReplyDelete